Data Engineer - UK
Full-time, permanent in United Kingdom
Full Job Description
Alumni Services is a global digital transformation management consultancy with offices in UK, Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia providing high-end expertise to industry leading clients to drive real business improvement through disruptive technologies. We offer advice, provide technology, transformation, and people change expertise to deliver. Our global team are hand-picked experts located all over the globe, with executive-level experience in tech-focused MNCs, consultancies, and start-ups.
Alumni Services are looking for UK based Data Engineers to join our growing team of associates.
The Data Engineer will support software developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects.
Responsibilities will include:
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and ‘big data’ technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Keep our data separated and secure across national boundaries through multiple data centers and hosting regions.
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- Preferably with experience across AWS and Azure.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL), and working familiarity with various databases.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures, and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency, and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
Qualifications for Data Engineer
We are looking for a candidate with 5+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, who has attained a Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems, or another quantitative field.
The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. They should also have experience using the following software/tools:
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and Cassandra.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc.
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems, and products.
- Excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
- Excellent communicator with Leadership skills and ability to influence the executive team and their direct reports cross-functionally.
- Demonstrates a hunger for technology and a continuous learning mindset.
- Self-Starter with a pro-active approach and solution-focused working style.
Alumni Services is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and consider and embrace all individuals and what makes them unique. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know when applying.
Temporarily due to COVID-19
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent